The fifth annual Springfield Rotary Food Truck Competition is set for this Saturday, Aug. 18. Whether it’s your first year attending, or if you are a seasoned attendee, here are 10 things to do to prepare you to fully experience this year’s competition in all it’s glory!
1) Time/Date/Location/Parking: The competition will be held from 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. this Saturday, Aug. 18, 2018 at Veteran’s Park (250 Cliff Park Rd) in Springfield. Click here to view details and parking information. Click the image above to view the map for this year’s competition.
2) Download the app: The “Springfield Food Truck” app is free for Apple and Android devices, and provides all you need to know to prepare for and attend the competition, from participating food trucks and their menus, to the entertainment lineup, to the ability to vote for the Peoples Choice Award and the latest updates and notifications. Click here to download the app and have everything at your fingertips!
3) Know your food trucks: Thirty-two food trucks will be lining the path throughout Veterans Park, with plenty of palate-pleasing plates for your enjoyment. Get a leg-up on knowing who will be there and what you’ll want to try by viewing our Quicklist of participating food trucks and their menus. Or even better, download the mobile app to swipe through the lineup.
4) Vote for your favorite truck: The “People’s Choice Award” allows attendees to vote for their favorite truck to receive an award at the competition. You’ll need to download the Springfield Food Truck app to vote during the competition. The winner will be announced on stage with the rest of the award winners.
5) Live entertainment: A handful of local bands will entertain on the amphitheater stage throughout the duration of the competition, providing a wide range of musical tastes. Click here to view the entertainment lineup.
6) Taste local brews: In addition to water, soft drinks, wine and other beverages, this year’s competition will again feature craft beers from Springfield’s own Mother Stewart’s Brewery.
7) Bring some cash: Food trucks will be serving full menu items to the public during the competition and will not be providing samples. Most trucks do have card-reading capabilities for plastic purchases, but it’s a good idea to have cash on hand, too.
8) Bring your lawn chairs: Many families choose to make the competition a daylong event, with plenty of food and drink for all meals and live entertainment throughout the day. Consider bringing your lawn chairs and blankets to stake your claim of the grassy area in front of the amphitheater for a full day of fun.
9) How judging works: There will be a $10,000 first-place winner, $5,000 runner up and $2,000 third place winner, in addition to a $1,000 People’s Choice winner. Click here to learn more about how judging works. Winners will be announced around 5:30 p.m. on stage at the competition.
10) Support a great cause! While food trucks get to keep their sales for the day, the sponsorships and other proceeds support various Rotary causes and projects including, but not limited to Services to People with Disabilities, Polio Plus (the worldwide eradication of Polio) and the International Project in Lesotho. Learn how the event has impacted the community here.
We look forward to seeing you on Saturday!