The Seventh Springfield Rotary Gourmet Food Truck Competition is set for this Saturday, Sept. 11. Whether it’s your first year attending, or if you are a seasoned attendee, here are 10 things to do to prepare you to fully experience this year’s competition in all its glory!
1) Time/Date/Location/Parking: The competition will be held from 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. this Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021, at Veteran’s Park (250 Cliff Park Rd.) in Springfield. Click here to view details and parking information. The event map for this year is below.
2) Download the app: The “Springfield Food Truck” app is free for Apple and Android devices, and provides all you need to know to prepare for and attend the competition, from participating food trucks and their menus, to the entertainment lineup, to the ability to vote for the Peoples Choice Award and the latest updates and notifications. Click here to download the app and have everything at your fingertips!
3) Watch the Buckeyes on the Jumbotron: You don’t think we’d let your love for gourmet mobile cuisine interfere with your love for great college football, did you?! Come watch and cheer on the Buckeyes on our JUMBOTRON as they take on the Oregon Ducks. Kickoff is at Noon.
4) Know your food trucks: Thirty food trucks will be lining the path throughout Veterans Park, with plenty of palate-pleasing plates for your enjoyment. Get a leg-up on knowing who will be there and what you’ll want to try by viewing our Quicklist of participating food trucks and their menus. Or even better, download the mobile app to swipe through the lineup.
5) Vote for your favorite truck: The “People’s Choice Award” allows attendees to vote for their favorite truck to receive an award at the competition. You’ll need to download the Springfield Food Truck app to vote during the competition. The winner will be announced on stage with the rest of the award winners.
6) Live entertainment: A handful of local bands will entertain on the amphitheater stage throughout the duration of the competition, providing a wide range of musical tastes. Click here to view the entertainment lineup.
7) Taste local brews: In addition to water, soft drinks, White Claw and domestic beer, this year’s competition will again feature craft beers from Springfield’s own Mother Stewart’s Brewery.
8) Bring some cash: Food trucks will be serving full menu items to the public during the competition and will not be providing samples. Most trucks do have card-reading capabilities for plastic purchases, but it’s a good idea to have cash on hand, too.
9) Bring your lawn chairs: Many families choose to make the competition a daylong event, with plenty of food and drink for all meals and live entertainment throughout the day. Consider bringing your lawn chairs and blankets to stake your claim of the grassy area in front of the amphitheater for a full day of fun. Additional seating is also available at the Springfield Museum of Art.
10) How judging works: There will be a $10,000 first-place winner, $5,000 runner up and $2,000 third-place winner, in addition to a $1,000 People’s Choice winner. Click here to learn more about how judging works. Winners will be announced around 4:45 p.m. on stage at the competition.
11) Support a great cause! While food trucks get to keep their sales for the day, the sponsorships and other proceeds support various Rotary causes and projects including, but not limited to Services to People with Disabilities, Polio Plus (the worldwide eradication of Polio) and the International Project in Lesotho, as well as a number of scholarships. New this year is the ability to donate via PayPal to provide your support. Click here to donate today and continue to support this great local event!
We look forward to seeing you on Saturday!